Thursday, February 17, 2011

healthy but tasty

I have been on this healthy kick lately, and I thought I would share some of the tasty healthy things I have been eating. What is your favorite healthy snack food??

My good friend Shelby gave me a great granola recipe. I have been tweaking it every time I make it and have somehow found the perfect granola recipe for myself. I eat this granola almost everyday. Sometimes I put it on top of my smoothies, yogurt or even mix it with fruit. 
Yesterday I bought some Kale to make this delicious kale soup recipe my amazing sister-in-law gave me. BUT it turns out it has been in the 50's and 60's and for Colorado that is not soup weather. I have been hearing about Kale chips from several blogs and decided to pull some out myself. Enjoy!

See recipes below!

what you need:
3 cups oats
½ cup instant (powder) milk (add more of this if you want it more chewy)
1/4 cup sunflower seed 
½ cup chopped almonds (sometimes I throw in more when I am feeling crazy)
½ cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brown sugar (the original calls for 1/2 a cup, use either that work for you)
½ cup olive oil
½ cup agave nectar
a pinch of cinnamon
a pinch of salt

*mix together with your hands to make it stick together.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden at 325.
mix and stir while cooking so it bakes evenly.

This is not the best picture of Kale Chips, but please try it out, you will not regret it!!

What you need:
1 bunch of kale 
1 table spoon of olive oil
a pinch of salt
1 clove of minced garlic
(you could substitute the salt for sea salt or  seasoned salt)

*Preheat the oven to 325, bake for about 10-15 minutes. before you bake them clean and dry the kale. then pull the leaves off of the stem. put on a tray spaced out and then add additional ingredients! bake. test taste and if its not super crunchy and light as a feather leave it in for another couple of minutes. It should not be chewy at all, just really deliciously crunchy :)

2 comments:

kate said...

yum! i'm excited to try it!

CASSIE said...

I seriously can't wait to try the chips!