Friday, August 14, 2009

Baby Bentley is home!

Some family and friends have asked about the story of labor and delivery so here it goes :)
We arrived at the hospital around 5 am. The nurse gave me Cervidil at about 6:30, which ripens my cervix to help when inducing labor. When the nurse gave me this she said she leaves it in for about twelve hours and then they will start me on Pitocin. We were a little surprised about this; we did not know that we were going to be waiting around for twelve hours before actually being induced. So Kam and I sat in the hospital and watched movies. The nice thing about Cervidil is I could eat on it, and walk around when I wanted to. Kam and I took a walk around the hospital at around twelve, and the contractions started to kick in. They were just small ones and they started to progress and get stronger.
7pm rolls around and they give me Pitocin. The Cervidil worked and my cervix was nice and soft. The new nurse walked in and it was the one that I had earlier that morning, she was there for her second day of work and I was still barley in labor. She was so great, I was starting to feeling some bad labor pains at about 9:00 so she checked me and I was only dilated 2.5 cm, and still only 70 percent effaced, which I had been walking around at for several weeks. She called Dr. Dowswell and he told her it was okay to me to get my epidural. They were so fast on coming it to give me the epidural; they were there in a matter of minutes. The epidural was painless.
Dr. Dowswell came in at around 11:00pm and check to see where I was at. As he was coming in the room Kam was walking my Mom and family to the parking lot. So when Dr. Dowswell got there he checked me and then broke my water. I was dilated to a 4 and 90 percent effaced. Kam came back and I told him how much everything changed and that he broke my water. He didn’t believe me because it was all so fast. We both then tried to get some sleep. Unfortunately I was hooked up to the machines and my blood pressure was too low. So every time my blood pressure was checked, which was every 15 minutes, an alarm went off in our room and I had to page the nurse. I was unable to sleep at all because the alarm went off every 15 minutes! I made sure that everything was okay and she said I was fine, and my blood pressure was actually healthy.
Once I started to think that I was getting no sleep, the nurse came in at about two thirty and sat my bed completely straight up. She said that the baby’s heart rate was dipping every time I had a contraction so she had to sit me up. This position must have done something to me, because I immediately felt so uncomfortable and pressure. By this time I was dilated to a 6. I had heard that pressure was a normal thing, but then came pain. I thought my tailbone was breaking right there! The nurse came in and told me to push the button to basically tap myself out on the epidural. It released as much as it could within the hour. Word of advice, always push the button even if you don’t have a ton of pain, better safe than sorry! I finally was starting to feel a little better, just more exhausted.
The nurse came in around 4:45 am and I told her I really wanted her to check me again because I was feeling a ton of pressure again. She said she would check me around 5:30. She then checked and I was dilated to an 8. She came in again at around six thirty and I told her there was a for sure change. She checked me and I was dilated to a 10 and 100 percent effaced and the baby’s head had completely dropped as low as it gets. So by this time I was getting my third shift of nurses. The new nurse was there and said that she was going to have me push for a little bit and then we would call Dr. Dowswell. I pushed for only about twenty minutes and then she made me stop. She paged another nurse to call the doctor to come in. He said he was about ten minutes away.
Fifteen minutes roll around and he is still not there. I was sitting there just waiting for the doctor to show up, while my contractions were pushing out the baby’s head. Her head was literally right there! The doctor finally showed up and then rushed to put everything on. My poor nurse was the only one in there assisting him because the hospital was soo busy that night. He asked me to push one time and then asked me to stop. He then did the episiotomy, asked me to push one more time and she popped right out!! She was finally here!!!!!!!
Bentley is now three days old, she is the cutest baby ever!!!! Kam and I love her so much; we are so happy and continent with everything. They finally released us from the hospital yesterday afternoon. It feels so good to be home! She is seriously such a good baby. She has a hard time waking up; she loves to sleep like her mommy and daddy. She is a good eater so far. We tried to give her a pacifier and I think that this gave her a little confusion but she is latching on great now! She is so happy and cuddly. She is very tiny!!! Her newborn clothes are way too big; she is swimming in everything we put her in. She has a full head of hair that is a light brown color, I dont know where she got it from but I love it.
I am recovering fairly well, thank you to everyone in the ward, family, and friend who have helped out!
Kam is the best dad and husband, I am so lucky to have him. He is so great with the baby and loves to just have her snuggle with him. We are so blessed and lucky to have such a sweet little daughter of our Heavenly Father.

Bentley Elle Webb
Born on 8/12/2009 at 8:06 am
6 pounds 10.8 ounces 20 inches long
Head 13 inches, chest 13 inches.

Isn't she the cutest newborn baby you have ever seen?

Our new little family

Jada was so cute with Bentley! She asked me if they could be best friends.

Jada, Me, Bentley and Ranan!

Bud, Bentley and Alex, he was so gentle and cute with her

She had a black eye for a little bit, look how big the newborn clothes are and how big she is in the car seat! Too cute.

Finally home, our little exhausted but happy family :)

Big yawn!

18 comments:

Angela said...

She is a DOLL! Congrats! Hope you recover soon :)

Becca said...

Aw she is soo sweet. Glad she is a good sleeper. Lets hope she stays that way!! Cant wait to meet her. Congrats you two!! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful and so tiny! You guys did well. :)

Kacie said...

How pretty Sarah! Congratulations, there is nothing better than being a Mommy, as I am sure you have realized!

Danielle Christene said...

Aww she is so cute! I love her. You have the sweetest little family Sarah. Good luck to you both. There is nothing in the world like having a new baby, they are so sweet but they grow up so fast. Can't wait to meet her!

Kelli said...

Yeah...She is finally here. I am so happy for you and Kam! You two sure made a cute one. Erin and I want to come see you soon! Love ya! HOpe you are recovering good.

Sandi said...

Oh my she is CUTE! Look at those cheeks! Congrats you guys :)

CASSIE said...

I just LOVE her soo much!! Congratulations again! You are doing awesome at the mommy thing! :)

emily said...

Wow she is beautiful. How awesome for you guys and your new little family! =)

Joele and Matt said...

We are so happy she is finally here! She is quite the doll:) Don't worry #2 is usually a little easier getting here...not always but usually! Congrats to you and Kam!

The Clonts Column said...

wow!!! Congrats! I am so glad your baby girl is here!! Makes me so excited for our boy! One month left!!!! She is just the prettiest thing! I would love to come visit!

kasey kaufusi said...

OH YAY she is sooooo cute!!! oh sarah you will be a great mother! i cant wait to see her in real life! love ya
kasey

Rob, Michelle, Luke & Harper said...

Isn't having a baby like the coolest thing ever! Oh the first moment you see their little face is magic. Bentley is such a beautiful baby. Oh, I cannot to see her. Kiss her for me.

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness I can't wait to see her! She's adorable, and you look great! Congrats you guys!!! She's an angel!

Saysha said...

I didn't even know you had a blog until you commented on mine!! She is a doll...the picture of her in the carseat is priceless!!! Sooo sweet..can't wait to see her in person. Good luck recovering..enjoy your sweet bundle! Let me know if you need anything....

Traci Butler said...

She looks so cute and sweet :) Congrats you guys!!

Anonymous said...

so tiny! ah, she is beautiful sarah!

We are the delightfully happy Denhalters said...

Congrats she is beautiful! It makes me so happy to see a sweet new spirit. You guys are going to be awesome parents!