Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Satisfaction

Life lately has been anything but normal. Kam is still doubled up in classes, but going to graduate in three weeks! I cannot tell you what joy this brings me, all his hard work is finally paying off. Then Cassie and Drew are leaving, it makes me want to burst into tears, knowing that I am going to not be minutes away from one of my best friends and some of the most adorable crazy kids (all my nieces and nephews are the world’s cutest kids.) A few weeks ago I was sitting at church. A man was giving a talk and my husband leaned over and told me it was one of his cousins-go figure the Webb’s are related to everyone. I don’t know if this made me pay attention to his words a little more, or if the Spirit was just so strong I couldn’t hear anything but the words he spoke. This poem that he read made me realize how lucky I am to be where I am at in my life right now; sweet daughter, loving husband, small apartment for us to keep all this love together, family experiencing new and exciting adventures, and trials that make us stronger. This poem touched my heart and I hope it can touch yours too.
Thanks Cerise for emailing this to me:

SATISFACTION
I wish it were wintertime. I am so tired of this heat. I’d be happy if it would just snow again.
Is this snow ever going to melt?
If I had a ten-speed, I’d be happy. That’s all I want…a ten-speed bicycle.
Boy, I’ll be happy when I get a car. No more begging for rides…
If I were just older. Old enough to date…then I’d be happy.
I’d be happy if I could stay out later at night. One hour later. Is that too much to ask?
I will never be happy until I am going steady.
Once I graduate from high school I will be happy.
I need a job. If I could just find a job, I’d never complain again.
I want to go to college.
I’ve got to get out of these dorms. The rules are starting to get me down. Once I get into an
apartment, I’ll be happy.
I need a place of my own.
I want to travel. How can I ever be satisfied with life if I never see the world?
I want to get married…settle down. I’m tired of roaming. I’ll be happy once I’m married.
If we only had a little more money…
Children will make me happy. As soon as I have a baby, I will be satisfied.
If you could only talk…
I wish you were still a baby…
If I can get that job, I will never ask for another thing.
A house.
New furniture.
If the children could take care of themselves, I’d be so much happier.
If you buy me a second car, I promise…nothing else.
A dishwasher. How can I deep up with all these dishes? I need a dishwasher.
Boy, will I be happy when the kids go to school.
I wish the kids would come home.
I simply won’t be satisfied until I get a housekeeper.
I’ve got it! A camper will make us happy. We could sneak off…enjoy one another…
Motorcycles. That’s it!
Maybe a boat will make us all happy.
Once we get out of debt, we will be happy.
You know, we ought to take a long vacation. Not worry about the money. Really relax and enjoy
ourselves. Maybe that would make us happy again.
I need a raise. Who can live on this salary? Everything would be better if I were making more
money.
I need to get more involved in the community…
If I just had a church responsibility.
I wish I had more time to spend with my family…I’d be happier…They’d be happier.
We need a summer place. A place where we can be alone. We’d be happier if we were alone
more often.
It is so lonely here. I wish the kids would spend some time here with us. What fun is a summer
place without kids?
I’d be happy if the children were more independent. As soon as they go off to college…
Our kids never come to see us. Always off heaven knows where. After all we have given them,
they ought to visit us at least on holidays.
Listen, if we had a few grandchildren, we would never ask for another thing.
Why can’t they understand…we don’t want to raise our grandkids…
When was the last time the grandchildren came to visit?
We won’t be satisfied until we set aside some money for retirement.
I would rest easier knowing our cemetery plots are selected and paid for.
Once we retire and slow down, we’ll be happier.
There is nothing to do. I need a hobby.
I wish I felt better. I’m always taking medicine. If I felt better I’d never complain again.
I’d be happy if we could catch up on these doctor bills.
We better sell this big house. Move into an apartment. Things will be easier in a smaller place.
Don’t you miss the old house?
I wish the children would stop by to visit more often. I am so lonely. A few more visitors would
make me so happy.
Can’t people understand? I need my rest…
I’ll be happy once I get into a good rest home.
No, I won’t be happy until I move back home again.
I wish I weren’t so sleepy all the time.
If my eyes…
If my legs didn’t ache…
I’d be so happy if I were young again.
I’d be happy if it would warm up.
I can’t stand the heat anymore.
I wish I had someone to talk to. I would be happy if I had a friend.
I want to sleep. Rest would make me happy.
If this would all just end…then I’d be happy.
As a rule,
Man’s a fool.
When it’s hot,
He wants it cool.
When it’s cool,
He wants it hot.
Always wanting what it’s not.
Never wanting what he’s got.
--Peggy Ball Fugal (slightly modified)

1 comment:

CASSIE said...

So perfectly said. There is no better time in life to be happy but NOW! I will miss you and Kam soooo much! I Love how close we've gotten over the past 2 years. Just know I am always a phone call away...(or a 5 hour flight! :)