Friday night I went to pick up my bib for the race. I walked into the convention center and immediately felt overwhelmed. There I was, alone walking around in a large sea of people. Things were getting real. I was nervous and shaky, a little worried and trying to figure out in my head how I could cheat myself out of 26.2 miles. I headed up to the booth and I go to grab my bib and they told me I had to go to the "Elite" runners table. This was a HUGE mistake, I am an average runner, not elite. My bib that was made didn't have a chip in it because the time they had me finishing was in a record time. NO WONDER I got picked for the drawing to run this race! I spoke with several people to figure out what to do and they told me just to use the bib and start with the "Elite" runners, or start with the runners that were at my pace. It was my choice. I am not a good decision maker so this sent me in even more of a panic. When should I start, what should I do? If I start with the elite runners I might get trampled, and I might overdo myself-but at least I will know my finish time. It was not time to make this decision, I waited till morning to even think about it.
Kate and I headed to where we were going to stay, which was with an amazing friend of hers who was so kind to let us sleep in her beautiful new home. Thanks Char! A few other unfortunate events unfolded that evening that made me even more nervous-but I decided to try to lay in bed and get some rest around 10. I think I finally fell asleep around 11:20.... and woke up every single hour around the same time due to nerves. Finally around 3 am I couldn't take it anymore. I got up and slowly got ready, praying the whole time that I would survive.
I got on the bus around 4:30. I sat in the front seat and stared at the road the entire time. I started to make small talk to the people next to me. They were about 55-year-old men, sponsored by the marine core, and when I asked them how many marathons they have done they said, "Oh probably between 50 or 60." Seriously? We chatted the whole way up about their first marathon and every other race they did. About ten minutes into the drive I mentioned that it felt like forever we had been driving already-they mentioned to me we had only gone about six miles. We chatted some more and soon arrived at our destination. I got off the bus, still unsure of where to go. I sat around a camp fire, ate a banana and tried to prep my mind for what was about to happen. I couldn't think straight, too many people, too many port-a-pottys and too loud of music. They called the elite runners, I went over with them and decided not to start yet. The elite runners took off with the gun at 6:45. I held back and finally got started with the group that crossed the start line around 7.
And we are off....
Mile 1 I turned on my music, the second I heard something familiar my nerves calmed and I was excited again. It was still dark outside and I was in the middle of a large crowd of people. Slowly people were picking up their pace and passing me, I must have been with people who ran a little faster than myself. I just kept thinking, "pace yourself Sarah, pace yourself!" I kept to the right, staring at the white line on the road.
Mile 2- 6. The wind died down as we started our way down the mountain, dusk had arrived. I dropped my jacket and gloves and continued along my course. My eyes were fixed at the white line in front of me, that was my new best friend. The mile markers continued to show up surprisingly faster than expected, my pace picked up.
Mile 7 I knew this mile would be the hardest, it was almost all up hill. We entered Aeyo Valley and slowly inched our way up the mountain. I was surprised to find that everyone around me was running the same pace up this. My initial thought was to walk this before I had even seen it. I continued to run, I couldn't stop. As the hill became steeper and steeper I decided to take a breath and check my watch, as my legs slowed two people passed me, and I picked back up my pace.
Mile 8-11 By this time we were up and out of the "dreaded Aeyo hill" but still had a few ups and downs to go. The sun was shining by now and the temp was starting to go up. I was feeling great.
Mile 12 The ten minute mile pacer caught up with me, I continued to run with their group for several miles. I got teary eyed a few times reading the backs of some peoples shirts and seeing the who they were "running for."
Mile 13-14 Halfway there! No way? The 10 minute mile "pacer" was running right next to me. She yelled while holding her pacer sign, "halfway there, closer to the finish line then the starting line!" I was surprised how great I felt by this point, my breathing was perfect and my legs felt light.
Mile 15-20 This was one of the prettiest sights I have ever seen. I usually don't appreciated the beauty of the desert because I live in it, but honestly the desert was so beautiful this day. I saw so many people stopping with their phones and taking pictures of the view. If you have never been to Snow Canyon, go and get your breath taken away. I may or may not have cried a little, it was that pretty. I met a friend along the way, her name was Stephanie. I was grateful for the view and company because my legs were starting to get a little tight.
Mile 20-22 I started to pick up my pace. I kept thinking to myself, "I cannot believe I am doing this. This is so amazing, this is so beautiful."
Mile 23 I saw Kate! What an energy booster along the way! I was so happy and excited to see a familiar face. It was inspiring reading all the signs that people left along the route for everyone-but to see someone standing there just for me made me feel pretty special.
Mile 23-26 I may have gotten a little too excited when I saw Kate. I was starting to really feel the miles by this time. It was hot, the sun was beating over my shoulders and I was ready to get to the finish line. Thank you to the kids who gave me an otter pop-I will be forever grateful. By mile 24 I was rubbing my glute muscles and leg muscles to loosen up. A big shout out to the people at the aide stations who gave us water every mile and gave my legs a quick rub down of icy hot. I remember during mile 24 I tried to stop and walk, my legs would not let me walk, it hurt worse to walk then run. So, I continued to run.
Mile 26-26.2 This was the hard part. I knew the finish line was coming up as we weaved through neighborhoods. I was getting anxious, exhausted, and a little excited. When I saw the finish line I immediately started to tear up. The crowd was cheering and I felt a feeling I never felt before. I did it.
So many people throughout my training told me, "I cannot believe you are doing a marathon, that is so hard." At times I didn't think I could do it either. I thought it might be too hard and I wanted to give up. When my feet crossed that finish line I was so happy to be done, but I was so happy that I did it.
Would I do it again? YES, 100%. Was it hard? YES, 110%.
im somewhere in here... wheres waldo?
23 miles down, 3.2 to go!!! My legs are WHITE!
I'm glad this was taken far away, my face is pretty embarrassing. *note to self, never cry across the finish line again-it is so ugly!
I could hardly walk after, me trying to smile all sweaty and red!
Thank you kate for being an amazing friend and supporter!! (ps... I forgot to mention how amazing she was by surprising me with a sports massage after the race. It was amazing!)
After the race we went back up the mountain to get another look at the course. The sun was setting and it was beautiful once again. Thank you St. George for never disappointing.







6 comments:
Of course I am crying reading this. SARAH YOU ARE AMAZING! Watching you cross the finish line was so awesome. Love you!!!
This post made me want to cry! You inspire me!! I love the pictures. You are so skinny and look amazing for just running 26.2 miles!!! WAY TO GO SARAH!
Congrats again, Sarah! I love reading other people's marathon experiences! it really is such a great feeling crossing that finish line. You should be proud of yourself and not at all embarrassed about crying! It is a HUGE accomplishment! Now lets run one together ;)
Aww. Totally teared up reading this. You are amazing girl. And you look fabulous. Definitely not like you just ran a marathon! I so wish I could have been there with you girls. It sounded like it was such a fun trip. Lets plan another trip. Soon! Love ya tons.
I wish I could run 5 miles. You are so awesome Sarah. I like reading your blog... what can't you do!
It's interesting how something that seems so physically taxing is also a mental hurdle. Congratulations and wow!
Post a Comment